Monday, December 8, 2008

I'm becoming my mother...

..or maybe just becoming a Mom.

I guess it was bound to hit me at some point - yesterday morning, to be exact. As Derrick backed the van out of the driveway on the way to church, the voices in the backseat were asking for Silly Songs on the radio.

Let me give a little background before continuing my story. First, requesting certain music while in the car is a relatively new thing for the boys. Gone are the blissful days of NPR. Now the songs that I hum in the shower and wake up in the middle of the night singing are "She'll be coming around the mountain", "Found a Peanut", and "Where is Thumbkin?"

Second, I remember distinctly when I was a child that every Sunday morning, we would travel the 15 minutes to and from church listening to "The Sounds of Faith" on a local radio station (94.9). It was a local show that played "church music" (choirs and the like) on Sunday mornings. My brother and I would groan from the backseat and hope that the program would be over by the time we headed home from church so we could listen to something else.

I bet you can see where this story is going...

Yep, I played the "Mommy sits closer to the radio controls" trump card and immediately switched to our local Christian Radio station, hoping to listen to their normal Sunday morning program - Sunday Morning Celebration. They are in the middle of their 24 hour Christmas music (ugh), so guess where we ended up. You guessed it - The Sounds of Faith.

I could almost feel the relief from the back seat when we got back in the car after church and the program was over. It didn't take long for the boys to request Silly Songs again and for the sounds of silliness to fill the car.

1 comment:

McCance said...

McCance always requests the Spanish CD. On the way to church we emphasize no music. Just quiet. (LOL to quiet, but you get the idea.)