Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The best parenting book

I simply love that God's word is living and active. I've been praying Hebrews 4:9, 11-12 for me this year, specifically that I would find my rest in His word and have a willing heart and discipline to seek the Lord daily by reading His word. And God has been so faithful to meet me there.

I also love that I may read a passage and discern one thing and others may read the same passage and learn something different. I am studying Genesis with a group of women and one question today was: "Reread Genesis 17. Name at least four important attributes of God illustrated in this chapter. Which of these attributes is most meaningful to you in your current situation?"

The answers were varied and insightful and wonderful.
Faithful
Personal
Gracious
Forgiving
Merciful
Everlasting
All-Seeing, All-Knowing, All-Hearing
El Shaddai, God Almighty
Sovereign

Mine was nothing like these. I saw God parenting Abraham.

1. God gives Abraham a special name that has meaning for Abraham's future (v. 5)

2. God gives specific instructions to Abraham about how He expects Abraham to be obedient (v. 10-14)

3. God is patient with Abraham's questions and misunderstandings, but he is firm in his declarations of what is to happen (v. 19 - "yes, but")

4. God affirms Abraham's desires and fears (v. 20 - "I have heard you)


I wonder, why do I need that bookshelf of parenting books when all I need is here in God's Word?

No comments: