Monday, October 18, 2010

weekend update

It was a good weekend. For me one that really marked the arrival of fall - soccer games, our local fall festival, pumpkin farm, camping, cooler weather. We even turned the oven to 500 degrees (something that is NOT allowed in the summer) to make pizza for dinner on Sunday - yum!

You can see pictures from our local fall festival and pumpkin farm all around the blog. Here are a few more pictures and stories.

********************************************
I love our local fall festival. It is full of local craft booths, a 4-H exhibit, and lots of good food. I always see people I know and enjoy catching up with them. I also get great sewing ideas. The kids have a great time as well.

Last year I learned that the best way for us to limit our budget, but not have to say "no" all the time is to give the kids a spending limit. We set the limit at $5.00. In typical fashion, Scott (our frugal child) was hesitant to spend any money...that is, until he came to the table with fossils and rocks. He and Derrick spent at least 30 minutes pouring over the rocks and he emerged with three new fossils - a 28 million year old shark vertebra, a 150 million year old piece of petrified wood and a 5 million year old fish skull. They are pretty cool.

Andrew, on the other hand, was ready to spend his money from the moment he walked in the door. He was so sad that he could not find anything to buy. Finally, as we were leaving, I suggested cotton candy. In typical fashion, his first response (our impulsive, yet generous child) was to ask if he could give some to Scott. I'd say it was a good use of money. What do you think?




Amanda did not get any money to spend, but she sure did enjoy the boiled peanuts we bought to share. (We were listening to live music from a local band and enjoying a little snack. The weather was beautiful.)


Yes, the easiest way to get into a boiled peanut is to eat the shell.


*********************************************
We left the festival and went home to take naps. In the afternoon, we met some friends at a local pumpkin patch to choose our pumpkin. The kids had fun running through the fields selecting their fresh-from-the-vine pumpkin.




****************************************
You know, when I filled out my census form in the spring, I had a hard time accepting that we live in a rural county. But now I love it. I love driving by cows on my way to church. I love seeing people I know at every large event I attend. I love the small festivals and parades. I love that we have exactly zero traffic lights between here and Scott's school.

And, I love that we have a Kohl's and Target down the street, with a Trader Joes opening in just a few weeks. I love that we are so convenient to the great arts and sports at the University and just a little further to Atlanta. All in all, I'd say this is a great town.

PS - for those of you who are wondering, the camping adventure went really well on Saturday. They stayed out all night. Amanda and I were making oatmeal when their little faces appeared at the back door. I patted their heads as they walked in and their hair was wet with dew. But, there were smiles on their faces and they are ready for the real thing this weekend.

No comments: