Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Election Day

Today is Election Day and, in our county, that equals "Day off from School." Scott asked me earlier this week, "What holiday are we celebrating on Tuesday, so that we get the day off?" I told him it's not really a holiday, but I guess they want the schools empty so they can use them as polling centers?

Regardless, I have high hopes for this day. I have lots of plans and am very excited about spending the day at home with all three. Our main fun project is to READ. Yes, Scott loves to read in my lap. The books that he can read bore him and we are in the middle of several big books - Rocks & Minerals, ASK (a science magazine), and Junie B. Jones. My goal is to spend lots of snuggle time on the couch with these books.

We'll see if that happens, though. Amanda is not as much of a fan of sitting still and is a much bigger fan of getting into trouble. Her latest is to change her babies' diapers on TOP of her changing table. That means she climbs the shelves and sits on her changing pad and proceeds to dump powder all over her babies. I caught her last week just before she got into the Desitin. She has also mastered getting out of her crib. I think we'll be rearranging her room fairly soon.

Andrew is in the middle. He will read for a while and then prefers to play superhero (or just about anything with a sword and cape.) He had some funny Andrewisms yesterday:

*On the way home from school, we passed a yellow Mayfield Dairy truck. Amanda thought it was a school bus (everything yellow is a school bus.) I said I thought it was an icecream truck.
Andrew - "Mom, we haven't had ice cream in a while."
Me - "Yes, I was just thinking the same thing."
Andrew - "Do you think I can not have a cake at my 10-year old birthday party and have ice cream instead?"
I chuckled inside...here is Andrew willing to wait six years for ice cream and I was thinking we should buy some next time we were at the store!

*Then, last night the delay tactic for going to bed.
Derrick - "Andrew, why are you up?"
Andrew - "I need to clean my toenails."
That's a first!

2 comments:

Brent, Sara, Hannah and Sam said...

Tell him you all are celebrating my birthday of course :)

McCance said...

Need to clean my toenails? Gross. LOL

You'd like to know that while I slept in this morning, Cora played quietly in her bed for awhile. Not sure how long. But I found out why she was so content. She reached the container where I keep her wipes and Desitin, etc. Opened the Desitin and applied some to her face--around her eye. Perhaps she's been watching me put on my moisturizer? In true Cora-style, that's the only place I found it. A bit of residual in her hair. That's all.