Monday, February 23, 2009

Five Months

Today is Amanda's five month birthday. Happy 5-Month Birthday, my sweet girl.

The funniest thing happened today. I dug out some new baby music CDs that were given to us for the boys. In an endeavor to get Amanda to nap by herself, I thought I would play some music. So, I chose our Baby Einstein "Lullaby Classics" CD. After a few minutes, Amanda still was not listening to the music; rather we were all listening to her cries, so I went in to check on her and soothe her. What I heard on the CD brought me right back to my wedding day - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring by Bach, followed by Pachelbel's Cannon. And, it fast forwarded me to Amanda's wedding day - all in one split second.

How can I let my baby cry herself to sleep when she will be little for such a short time? I scooped her up and rocked her. Boy, she sure does have me wrapped around her finger. I was never such a softie for my boys.

But, she doesn't have me wrapped as tightly as her Daddy. I overheard Derrick and Amanda the other day. Derrick explained to her that her future husband had better ask us for her hand in marriage (and that Nana should be in the room as well, since she asks good questions)...and that that would be at least 30 years away. I gently reminded him that I was just 22 when he proposed to me. I guess perspective changes when your daughter is involved.

No comments: