Friday, May 6, 2011

I'm a mother of a boy...

One day this week, we met the bus at 3:00 and just stayed outside to play.

[Actually, that's what we did most days this week. It is our afternoon routine to meet the bus at 3:00 and stay outside for an hour or so and then go inside for snacks and homework.]

On this day, I was working on the hand sewing for Amanda's dress (more on that in another post), so we had an extended play time. Scott was digging in the dirt and exploring the yard. Andrew was zooming around on his Razor Scooter. Amanda was playing with her babies - swinging them, going down the slide with them and pushing them in her stroller.

Suddenly, Scott called out, "Mom, I have a Mother's Day present for you!" I smiled...how sweet. He ran up to me and opened his fist to reveal a huge handful of earthworms....wriggly...slimy...earthworms. Yuck. I politely declined. He ran off to continue to explore.

A few minutes later, there was another delighted cry of "Mom, I have another present for you!" This time, he gave me a centipede. Again, I thanked him and politely declined (after giving him the definition of what 'decline' means.)

He ran off again. A few minutes later, "Mom, this one is perfect!" This time he came back dangling a snake skin that he found in the compost pile. Before I could decline he said, "Something dead is much better than something slimy or something with 96 legs. Now, I wonder if I can find something for Father's Day..." And, off he went to search.

No comments: