Saturday, May 21, 2011

Milestones

One of the things I love the most about working is the sense of accomplishment that comes with a job well done. Whether it is planning an event or completing a project, I love the tangible results that you can count on your fingers and record in an annual report.

But, those tangible results don't come as often with parenting. I sometimes look back at the end of the day and wonder how the day passed so quickly with so little accomplished. I know I vacuumed, but you can't tell since the Legos are scattered again. I thought I washed three loads of laundry, but the hamper has clothes in it already. Did I tell Amanda 100 times not to do flips off of the couch? If so, why is she flipping again?

The kids grow and change gradually. People who aren't around every day can see progress, but it sometimes slips past without my noticing it. One day, I'll wonder, "When did Amanda's hair get so long?" or "When did Scott start reading two syllable words?" There's not as much satisfaction in realizing something after the fact.

It can get frustrating and make for long days and weeks. But sometimes there is a breakthrough with one of the kids that makes it all worthwhile. This week, we had two!!

Our first moment of satisfaction was Andrew learning how to pump himself on the swing. We have been working on it for six months. I can't tell you how many times I coached him with "pull"..."push"..."pull"..."push". He just couldn't figure out the rhythm. Then, last Thursday, it finally clicked. As he said, "My brain just figured out what to do and told my body what to do!" He was a little shaky on Thursday, better on Friday and by Saturday he looked like an old pro.
The other big milestone was Amanda finally figured out how to go potty!!! I am most excited. Again, this is something we have been working on for six months, with no results. It was frustrating to everyone. (The boys especially wanted the promised "potty treat.") Then on Wednesday, Amanda suddenly "got it." Again, it was like something clicked in her brain. She loves using her new skill (which also makes me really happy.)

No comments: