Thursday, September 22, 2011

moving

I've mentioned this before, but we have many friends who are moving. In fact, there is a moving van in the driveway across the street right now as I write this blog. Our neighbor who we've grown to love is moving to Florida to be closer to her daughter. We have several friends moving because of jobs. All over the country - Colorado, Texas, Missouri. And, while our hearts grieve that they are moving, we are so thrilled for them for the opportunities they will have. We watch them leave with both tears and smiles.

One common theme that runs across all of these moves (and all moves, I guess) is the need to get rid of stuff. As I mentioned here, it has inspired me to clear some of my own clutter.

But, because we are the ones who are staying and not moving, we have been on the receiving end of many wonderful gifts. We are so grateful. It is as if pieces of these people will stay with us in our home, and we will remember them as we use their things and smile as we remember what wonderful friends we have.

Just last week, Alisa brought us a huge tire that her husband had rescued from the dump a few years ago. I'm sure he planned to make a tire swing, but it never moved to the top of the to-do list. They decided that they didn't need to haul it 1000 miles to a new home. So it became ours.

Derrick cleaned it, drilled holes and hung the swing. The kids LOVE playing with it.



I include this picture to show how precarious the installation was. I was so nervous, but luckily the ladder was steady and Derrick did not fall.
Tomorrow is Amanda's birthday and we'll give her another "moving" gift -- a "new" doll house from the Borders. I'm so excited to watch her play with it and remember our good friends. I'll post pictures tomorrow!

No comments: