Saturday, October 1, 2011

Tallulah Gorge

Derrick has fall break this week. That means we get to hike in the mountains!! It has been a while since we've been and this time decided to make a short (2 hour) drive to Tallulah Gorge to see the falls. Even though the leaves were still green, it was a beautiful day for hiking.

As we left the car, Amanda insisted on taking Merry on our hike. I told Derrick that I've always wanted to have four children and Merry is my easiest baby yet! Amanda insisted on walking most of the time, so Merry rode in the backpack. We had several families pass us and look twice in the pack to see if the baby was real.



Here is Derrick with Amanda and Merry at the beginning of the hike.


I'm not sure if you would call what we did a "hike." I'd rather think it should be called "stair climbing." There are about 2,000 steps down and back up. My calves hurt for several days.


There was a brave little spider who spun a web on the suspension bridge that crosses the gorge.


I have to say that my trip to Montana spoiled me. These pictures turned out much better than the hike in real life. In Montana, the beauty was so vast that it was hard to capture in a single frame. Here, the beauty (while still beautiful) was on a much smaller scale and easier to photograph.


Taking a break...


I love my automatic timer. The blinking light actually holds the kids' attention. It is the only way I can take a family picture and have everyone looking at the camera.


Andrew - the funny thing about his outfit (besides the fact that it doesn't match), is that Scott wore the same outfit often in Kindergarten. All day I kept looking at Andrew (from behind, with his hood up) and think it was Scott and then worry because I couldn't find Andrew.


Both boys enjoyed hiking and climbing the rocks. We hiked (and climbed stairs) for almost three hours and there were almost no complaints from any of the kids. I was so proud of them (and excited for future hikes with them).





This is an above view of the suspension bridge that we crossed. It was not a hike for those who are scared of heights!

No comments: