Saturday, March 24, 2012

After school fun

3:00 until 6:00 is such a tricky time of day for me. It is precious, but it is also hectic and busy. It's my only quality time with the kids. I try to be intentional with how to fill that time. Sometimes we put away clothes and do other chores. Sometimes we read a chapter book. Sometimes the kids read to me. Scott almost always has homework. Often we spend a huge chunk of that time outside.

But sometimes I'm busy cleaning the kitchen, prepping dinner and catching up on my own stuff. The day has slipped away from me and I just don't have the time or energy to be intentional. The kids are on their own.

The great thing is that they are getting older and able to do more and more on their own. Just last week, Scott wanted to work on experiments. In the past, I would have had to drop everything to help him. Last week, I pulled the box out of the closet and he went to work. Scott and Amanda had a great time working with fizzy and foamy experiments. Never mind that I have no more baking soda. I was so surprised and impressed with his level of independence and the amount of patience he showed to Amanda.



Andrew chose to work on Legos in the living room. We often say that Scott and Amanda are "two peas in a pod." Andrew is our "carrot in the garden." He is independent and entertains himself quite well.

No comments: