Friday, March 16, 2012

Fashions from the 80's

Does anyone out there remember the Units clothing line from the 1980's? A description on a website I just found says this:

UNITS
A one-size-fits-all clothing store featuring knit skirts, shirts, belts and leggings in coordinating colors. The clothes were sold in UNITS boutiques located in malls throughout the United States. You could buy six different pieces of UNITS clothing and create an entire wardrobe from them. It goes without saying that UNITS did not make it out of the 80s.


Well, let me tell you, I LOVED these clothes. I thought it was so cool that you could mix and match...and that one tube could be a shirt, belt or miniskirt (although my Mom only allowed me to wear it as a belt.)

I can remember buying a set one Thanksgiving while I was in Middle School. We were at "The Mall" in Wilmington, NC and it must have been the only place open for miles on Black Friday. It was packed with people digging for sales. We passed one counter of khaki pants and the women were hurling them in the air, while yelling out the sizes. "34X36"...toss; "32X34" toss. People scrambled for the correct size. It was wild. My Mom and I had trouble fighting through the crowd just to get around them.

I loved shopping on Black Friday and I loved the feeling of having new clothes (although I almost always had to wait for Christmas morning to actually receive them as gifts.)

As with most clothes, those knit combos were forgotten, but for some reason never thrown away. My kids dug them out of the drawers in my childhood bedroom a few years ago, and we brought them home to use in the dress up box. When I was 12, I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that my kids would play with such fashions.

These are well-used pieces for costumes. Just last weekend, Scott used them to complete his Ninja outfit. They are perfect to store weapons in. And a few days later, Amanda took possession of them to carry her babies.

She has had a baby in it all week. Yesterday, she took Merry on a walk in it with Farley. We walked up the street to the stop sign and back. At the end of the walk, she announced that Merry had taken a good nap and was ready to get out. (In reality, I think Amanda was hot.)

In other Amanda news...
We met with a bride at church today whose wedding I'm directing this summer. She is debating whether or not to have flower girls. Amanda suddenly piped in, "I can be your flower girl. I'm wearing a flower dress." In fact, the dress she was wearing was covered in pink flowers.

And, yes, she has changed clothes since then. She is in a "three outfit per day" stage. The striped dress you see in the picture above is one of our "new" outfits that we pulled out today. As much as I used to love Black Friday sales, I love Hand-me-Down shopping even more. We pulled out an entire tub of summer clothes today. Amanda had a great time digging through the piles. She remember some from last summer, but most were like new to her. In the picture above, she has at least three layers under her Merry carrier.

No comments: