Friday, January 24, 2014

Self Sufficiency

In our house, we value self-sufficiency.  I love it when the kids help themselves to water and snacks.  I encourage them to choose their own clothes and get dressed independently.  If they are cold, they can find a blanket or get a sweater. 

But this may be taking it too far...


I came into the kitchen today to find Amanda getting her own breakfast.  I store the cereal on the top shelf, because that is where it fits the best.  She had moved the step stool into place and was on the counter on her tip toes to get the box she wanted.  She did this same stunt later in the day to get a snack, but I had the rice cooker on the counter, open and ready to start.  Bags of snack poured out of the cabinet into the rice and water.  We are going to have to stop this trend.  

As an aside, Amanda is really excited about this nightgown she is wearing.  I had a sewing day a few weeks ago to tackle some mending projects that were piling up.  My Mom came over and together we sewed buttons on a jacket, repaired holes in three pairs of jeans, darned some leggings, repaired a rip in a dress, and stitched some stuffed animals, as well as ironed all of my Christmas napkins and tablecloths.  I also found this pajama top in the pile.  It is a hand me down with no matching pants.  Amanda had been wearing it solo, but I thought it was just too cold for that.  I meant to sew a skirt from new fabric, but I remembered that we had a nice knit dress with a big stain on the sleeve.  So I cut the skirt from the dress and sewed it to the PJ top.  Voila!  A new nightgown that Amanda loves!





No comments: