Friday, February 7, 2014

Art in Excess

Amanda's teachers are cleaning out their room and they sent gobs of art home yesterday.  According to Amanda, there will be more in today's Friday folder.  She was so excited about it that she wanted to open her book bag on the way home from school.  But sifting through book bags in the car is one thing I don't allow because inevitably some papers are lost and others stay in the car, destined to be stepped on and torn.  So she showed restraint and maturity by telling me that she was going to wait, but that she wanted to be the one to open her bag when we got home.

I'll say…this opening-the-bookbag-in-the-car was a battle I chose to fight at the beginning of the year.  After all, preschool is training Amanda for real school…years and years of book bags and papers that Mama needs to see.  Amanda is strong and does not want to have to wait for things, so we have had many days of tears about having to wait. (Lest you think I'm torturing her, we have an eight minute commute, all right turns and only one traffic light.)  So I was thankful for this day when all of my efforts seemed to have paid off.

Her book bag was full!  Look at the spread.


My first thought was one of thankfulness…thankful for a school where she can live in the art center…thankful for a school with the resources to have paper and paint and markers…thankful for teachers who let her use as much as she wants (a luxury she does not always have at home).

Here are some of my favorites:

A family picture.  She was clear to point out to me that "Daddy is bald!"  I think she tried to spell my name above me.  

No surprises to me that there was at least one rainbow.  Amanda loves making rainbows.  They are featured in most of her coloring.

This one was clearly directed by the teachers, but I love it anyway.  Amanda has creative teachers who send home such cute artwork.

This set of self-portraits reminded me of an artist's series.  I think they also show great self-confidence.  And I just love the one in the middle with the giant "Amanda."

We are half way through the school year, and I think Amanda is definitely ready for kindergarten.  She is starting to learn to read, although she doesn't really have the patience or interest to sit long enough to practice.  She is far more interested in playing with her babies or practicing gymnastics when she gets home.  

No comments: