Monday, March 8, 2010

Blog envy?

I've read postings on several blogs recently about people having cases of "blog envy." I guess this is where you start looking at other blogs and wishing yours looked or sounded like theirs. Well, I certainly don't wish to be anyone else, so I don't want their blogs, but I do enjoy seeing what other people are up to. I have a couple crafting sites that I especially love to browse: "Make it and Love it" and "Homemade by Jill".

I wonder how women who are raising kids have the time to create such wonderful crafts AND blog about them. They must never spend time on other people's blogs. Maybe they don't require any sleep. They must love what they do so much that they prioritize their time differently than me.

Like my favorite cooking magazine, I mostly enjoy looking at the "recipes," but rarely try them. But, a few weeks ago, I was inspired by one and decided to try to make some things for upcoming birthdays. So, on Saturday when Amanda was napping, I pulled out the sewing machine and went about making a pattern for my sewing project.

Then I realized and remembered why projects like this never get completed. Like cats running toward the kitchen when they hear the can opener, I think my boys have a second sense to know when a project is being worked on. They were playing outside, but the moment they heard the hum of the sewing machine, they materialized by my side, both wanting a turn at pushing the pedal and guiding the fabric.

And I'm such a sucker when it comes to including my kids in projects. I recently had a friend who told me that her kids aren't allowed in the kitchen. It is her sanctuary. Meanwhile, I'm considering purchasing a second step stool for helpers and cleaning out a cabinet for Amanda.

So, back to my Saturday...when phase 1 was complete, I sent Andrew for a nap,but Scott still wanted to help. He convinced me that we should work on a project for him. Here I am, still trying to finish project #1, but the idea of supporting my child's creativity and spending quality time with him sounds great. So, I got to a good stopping point (actually all I could do until I can measure a bit more) and began his creation.

We had so much fun playing with different stitches. Scott designed the bag and pushed the pedal. I guided the fabric and made some necessary changes to the design. There are no finished edges, but Scott was so happy with the final product. It was exactly what he wanted.


Here is Scott cutting fabric to make the straps longer. I'm not sure if it is a bigger mistake to let him push the pedal or use my fabric scissors, but he did both on Saturday.


The finished product...




No comments: