Sunday, April 27, 2008

Championship weekend

Derrick and have had had a wonderful and tiring week helping with the NCAA Gymnastics Championships, hosted by UGA. One of our favorite spring pasttimes is our work with gymnastics and this was the culmination of a great year.

When someone asked me how long I have been working the home meets earlier this week, I found it hard to believe that this is the end of my 8th season. My, how time flies. It all started when I first moved to Athens and my roommate worked for the Athletic Association and was "meet director" for the gymnastics meets (along with several other sports). She casually asked me one day if I would like to help. I worked my first meet even before I started dating Derrick. We started dating that spring and by season #2, I asked her if she could find him a job as well.

It is funny. In our "real life" jobs, Derrick is the one who has had the same, steady job the whole time I have known him and I'm the one who has jumped around. But in this situation, it is just the opposite. I have recruited and trained the college girls who show the gymnast scores for each home meet for eight years now. Derrick, on the other hand, started out in the food room, making sure each worker only ate once. He did that for two seasons before Christie "promoted" him to tunnel guard. He managed to have one season there before he was "promoted" once again to table scorer. Last year he switched once again and his only responsibility was to start the warm up clock before each event...meaning, he had to push a green button 8 times over the course of three hours - so taxing on the finger. :) This year he served as a scorer and clock starter.

Not only was this an exciting week of gymnastics, but the bonus was that UGA won the Championships and two Georgia gymnasts won the individual competition.

We are glad that life will slow down a little this week and the boys will be glad that we are home again. We could not have done this without help from Nana. She came Thursday and Friday to keep the boys while we were away, so we only had to have a babysitter on Saturday.

No comments: