Friday, April 11, 2008

Six Aerial Lifts

In our weekly routine, Thursday is the day for Community Bible Study. I load three boys in the mini-van and head to our host church in downtown Athens. It can make for a hectic morning, especially with downtown parking being at a premium. I have learned that the best way to solve the parking problem is to leave early and park in the small lot that the church owns across the street. Normally, I'm a "park far away and walk" kind of person. I save those close spots for people who really need them, but in this situation, I consider myself one of those who "needs" it.

Well, this year the best part about this parking lot is that they are building a new bank building next door. When we began the year in September, they were razing the old building. The boys loved seeing the wrecking ball and other destruction equipment. In October, they set up a tower crane and had a semi-permanent yard crane in the yard, constantly moving steel beams from one side of the site to another. Scott loved the fire spray coming from the welders' tools and the big, protective masks they wore. By February, we were able to witness the brick layers and the machines they brought with them to the site - concrete mixers, fork lifts, and pallets of brick. Each week when we arrive, the first thing we do is assess the progress of the week. Then, I allow the boys to stand by the fence and watch while I get all of our bags and gear out of the car.

Yesterday was perhaps the most exciting moment of the year for them. There were six aerial lifts working at the same time to install windows in the building. They were stationed all around the building and the men were working hard. Scott's eyes lit up when we pulled into the parking lot and it was all I could do to get them into the church.

I'm really sad because we only have one more week of bible study left for the year. We don't get downtown that often, so it will probably be a while before we get to drive by and assess the progress of the building. On the other hand, I'm glad we are ending before they finish the outside and start working only on the interior. I was already thinking about how I was going to explain to the boys where the workers were and why they couldn't watch the work. (Sad for more than just this reason...it is a great opportunity to study God's word and fellowship with other adults.)

No comments: