Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Vacation Bible School

I've been slow posting this week because we've had a full week of VBS. We are at Camp E.D.G.E. (Experiencing and Discovering God Everywhere) and the boys are having a blast. They sing, make crafts, play recreation, do science and hang out with their friends. We have come home every day exhausted.

I'm also having a great time. Like last year, I am in charge of Science for the little kids (2, 3, Pre-K and Kindergarten). I'm realizing more and more how literal and concrete their little minds are. Most of the activities we have use abstract concepts to link the science with the bible story. For instance, on Monday morning, the boys and I were praying for the day. I said, "Lord, open our hearts so that we may know more about you today." We finished praying and Andrew looked up at me and said, "Is God going to open my heart?"

Then, this morning, Andrew saw the string that we used for one experiment and with one great, big, long run-on sentence said: "When you have a string, put the water in it with some powder and a chopstick and put in the soap and draw a line and the soap turns back into lemonade."

He combined three experiments into one: 1. Water travels down a wet string into a bowl from a measuring cup; 2. When talcum powder is sprinkled on water, you can use a craft stick dipped in soap to break the surface tension of the water and cause the powder to dissolve; 3. We did a sink/float activity and used a chopstick as one of our objects. I have no idea where the lemonade came from. :)

If all the kids are like Andrew, I'm not sure what they "take home" from them, but I know we are having lots of fun.

Today, we made playdoh and I explained the ABCs of being a Christian with the salt, flour and water. Then, we molded the playdoh to a baby food jar and poured red lava (vinegar) into the jar (which already had baking soda in it) to make it explode. When we ask Jesus into our heart, we overflow with God's love! The kids loved it and so did I. I made 12 volcanoes today and never once did I get bored with watching them explode.

Tomorrow is our last day of VBS and I can't wait to see what the kids bring home. Remember the posting from last year? I'll be sure to report on the loot for this year.

1 comment:

laura said...

I hope one year you can be MY kids VBS science teacher - what FUN that would be!!