Tuesday, February 19, 2008

a new kitchenaid

I didn't mention it in my last post, because the hurt was still too great. We had a major disaster while making Farley's cake. But, before I tell the story, you have to understand how much I love my kitchenaid mixer. It is the only appliance that holds a permanent spot on my counter (besides the microwave and Derrick's coffee pot). I use it all the time and don't know what I would do without it. As a matter of fact, Derrick often jokingly tells me that he "married me for my kitchenaid."

Well, I was mixing Farley's cake and walked to the other side of the kitchen to spray the pan. All of a sudden, I head a great loud "thump". It didn't sound good. Then, the mixer stopped. The little metal thing at the top that is removable to add attachments fell off into the bowl and jammed the mixer.

Several phone calls later, I got in touch with the closest Kitchenaid repair man (in Greenville, SC -- a 2 hour drive). He said that it was likely that the "worm gear" was stripped, although the motor runs just fine. The saddest part about it is that it will cost more to get it fixed than to buy a new one.

We searched Ebay and found one yesterday that we liked and it should arrive any time between 1 and 6 days. The funny thing is that I've been craving cookies, cakes and just about anything else that I can't have because I don't have a mixer.

(Even more irony is that just days after this happened, my mom gave me a beautiful cover for the mixer that matches my kitchen curtains. She had it since Christmas, but kept forgetting to give it to me. It is now sitting on a broken mixer, but will be transferred to the new mixer when it arrives.)

I just hope that Derrick loves this mixer as much as he did the old one!

1 comment:

McCance said...

I just ordered mine yesterday. Let's have a cookie swap (or bread or cake) when they arrive. My delivery is 7-10 days. :-)