Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Strawberries

The boys and I had a wonderful day yesterday at a local strawberry farm. We went with some friends, which was the best part about it. The two older boys did a great job of picking red strawberries and some actually landed in their buckets and not their mouths. The little boys did not do as good of a job, but they still had fun. Once I caught Andrew eating a green strawberry - yuck!




After about 30 minutes of picking, it was obvious that the kids were done. They were more interested in running up and down the rows and destroying the plants than picking. So, I took the kids over to the petting zoo, while Alisa finished picking all of our baskets.

The petting zoo was not nearly as exciting as the "duck race" troughs. It is hard to explain, but maybe you'll be able to figure it out from the photos. There are two big troughs of water at either end and eight total pumps. You place the duck in the PVC pipe and pump water down the pipe to watch the ducks float to the other end. I think playing there was the highlight of the day for all four of them.



Finally, here is a video of them making animal noises, while posing at one of those cut out signs. I apologize for the size of the video. You only need to take the time to download it if you want to listen to four kids making animal noises.





I've taken my four gallons of strawberries and frozen most of them. It will be so yummy to have fresh strawberries in ice cream, smoothies and just to eat all summer and into the fall and winter. Of course, we would have had more if they had not been so sweet and yummy. For every five or six that I washed, one went into my mouth. I just had to make sure that they were still as tasty as before.

No comments: