Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

Has anyone ever warned you not to try a new recipe when friends are coming over for dinner? We'll, I've heard that warning before, but I thought, "How can a recipe fail when it comes from Family Fun magazine and is designed for you to make with your young children?"

We had friends to dinner last night to celebrate Memorial Day and enjoy time together. Alisa and I sent the boys and husbands outside, so we were even cooking by ourselves (a rarity). The salads were made and all that was left was to whip up the new recipe (lace cookies) and put them in the oven. We both marveled at the easiness and simplicity of the recipe and even sampled the yummy dough (as it did not include eggs.)

Ten minutes later, I pulled them out of the oven, let them rest for the recommended two minutes and then realized there would be trouble. Nobody ever told me that you absolutely could not substitute wax paper for parchment paper in a recipe when the point of the paper was to prevent the cookies from sticking!

Alisa and I laughed as we scraped the cookie crumbs off of the paper into a bowl. We went to plan B and pulled some frozen cookie dough out of the freezer (my tried and true recipe that I always keep on hand for emergencies such as this). Derrick and the rest of the boys came in for dinner just as the Plan B cookies were coming out of the oven. He looked at me and said, "That's not what I expected the lace cookies to look like."

Here is a picture of Alisa scraping the cookies:





In the Seuser family tradition, we also made homemade icecream with the strawberries that all of us picked last week. The picture below is everyone marveling at the "ice crushing" machine that I never knew we had. It is amazing what treasures we have in our basement!

The crushed lace cookies tasted delicious as a topping on the ice cream (which turned out beautifully, as it was not a "new" recipe for Derrick.)

No comments: