Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our Shopping Trip

Yesterday morning, I took Andrew and Amanda (at 7:45AM) for a nice quiet shopping trip at Walmart. We went at that time last week and it was delightful. Since everyone is up at 6:15 anyway, why not venture out early.

We arrived to find that they were holding the grand opening celebration for our newly remodeled store. It was an employee breakfast celebration, complete with a live band. So much for my quiet trip...

As we were completing our shopping in the vegetable section, the band played "Proud to be an American." He finished the song and said, "I'm proud to be an American. And, I'm proud to be here at your new Walmart!"

The irony, I thought. Walmart represents everything I dislike about America - big, gluttonous, disposable, homogeneous. And its low prices (the only reason I shop there) are due to buying everything from China. Pride for America is not what I feel when I shop at Walmart. I'd rather see the mountains & fields, taste food at a local restaruant or simply hear my son recite the Pledge of Allegience.

*************************************
On another note, I looked at the calendar yesterday and could not believe it has been two weeks since school started. In some ways, it feels like we have had this schedule forever. But I also miss Scott when we do fun activities without him and we are definitely still adjusting to our morning schedule. I've been taking some pictures of our days without Scott and will post them soon.

No comments: